Search

Advanced Search

Hebrew Cemetery Chapel (ca. 1867)

All Titles

  • Hebrew Cemetery Chapel (ca. 1867)

Dublin Core

Title

Hebrew Cemetery Chapel (ca. 1867)

Subject

Services were once held at the Cemetery Chapel. Prominent Charlotteans are buried in this cemetery, many were merchants in Downtown Charlotte. Some of the well-known names include: Rousso, Speizman, Levine, and Gorelick.

Description

The Hebrew Benevolent Society purchased an 11 acre parcel of land in an outlying area of Charlotte far from the city center in 1867. As the surrounding inner-city neighborhood grew closer, the Jewish community was able to acquire more land, change the entrance location and clear off unused parts of the property for future expansion. The Hebrew Cemetery currently has approximately 1000 graves. This chapel served as a location for funeral services until the early 1980s.

Creator

Mary Carolyn Dominick

Publisher

Atkins Library, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Date

2010

Contributor

Mary Carolyn Dominick
Group #5

Rights

Materials in the UNC Charlotte 2010 History in the Digital Age class project site are provided free for educational use under fair use as outlined by current U.S. Copyright law and accompanying guidelines. Written permission from the J. Murrey Atkins Library or the rights holder must be obtained before using an item for publishing or commercial purposes.

Format

JPEG

Language

English

Type

Color Photograph (digital)

Identifier

http://history.uncc.edu/digitalage/admin/items/show/58

Coverage

Hebrew Cemetery, 1801 Statesville Ave. Charlotte, N.C. 28206
November 9, 2010

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Files

Citation

Mary Carolyn Dominick, "Hebrew Cemetery Chapel (ca. 1867)," in Life in a New South City: Charlotte, NC 1865-1929, Item #58, http://digitalage.uncc.edu/items/show/58 (accessed November 24, 2017).

Social Bookmarking