Search

Advanced Search

Browse Items (4 total)

In 1867, Charlotte was a community of 4500. Among these citizens were a handful of devout Jews. Faithful to their laws and traditions, the Hebrew Benevolent Society purchased 11 acres of what is now Statesville Avenue to be their Hebrew cemetery. …

Gravestone marker of Harry Van Straaten
Born Zwyndrecht, Holland, October 17, 1827
Died Concord, NC, June 12, 1898
"The righteous live in their faith"
Inscription in both Hebrew and English

The entrance to the Hebrew Cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1867 and is where many of Charlotte's earliest prominent Jewish residents are interred. The gate is wrought iron and is accessible from Statesville Road.

This photograph of Jacob Rintels headstone was taken on November 9, 2010.